Tuesday 16 April 2013

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9729383/Catcher-in-the-Rye-dropped-from-US-school-curriculum.html



Reply to Article

            After reading this article I was appalled. To think that books would be taken out of school was shocking. Sure some of the things we read in English I don’t enjoy as others, such as Shakespeare. But even the text I don’t like, I still learn new things about myself and enjoy going through the process I just don’t enjoy the storyline. Also I cant imagine when I am older that my kids not reading the books that I read. When I read a book in class I go home and talk to my sister, my mom or even my dad about it because I know that they read it when they were in school and can help me or give me tips. the stories that are read in English class help me bond with my family and I hope the same thing happens with my kids. If novels are taken away then I loose that opportunity and I would be devastated. I also don’t think that informational text could teach kids important life lessons that novels can. Novels teach me things about myself that nobody else can, they teach about how I feel in certain situations and what I believe in, informational text cant do that. The only thing informational texted would do is make kids good test writers. That’s why I believe that Novels need to say and be apart of schools curriculum.

9 comments:

  1. I understand your views on this subject and I agree with you when you say that fictional novels should continue to be taught in English classes. Informational texts will not contribute to a student's creativity and imagination in the same way that stories will. That is why it is important and necessary for students to continue reading and analyzing fictional books in their English classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that reading in english really helps with writing. Especially for me, reading books vastly improved my writing. I gained much better vocabulary and a better sense of how to portray my thoughts on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. Novels have so much to influence than informational text. Well, it is right. They will know how to read a manual or write a good cover letter. But, how about their personalities? How about their personal views? Novels help students in so many good ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also believe that books in english classes are important. I would want my kids to read, too. They should read new books just as well as older books. I doesn't matter that they are old because a good story never dies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My experience reading the “One who flew over the cuckoos nest” was very powerful. I thought it was very interesting and raw. It was the first book we studied that used profanity and sort of mimicked real life situations more than any other piece of literature I had ever read before. I remember being really influenced by the main character, I thought he had the ability to control a situation and have an effect over anyone within his vicinity. That was very powerful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never realized it before, but novels are an excellent bonding tool. I talk to my mom all the time about the books we're reading class, and she's read much of them in her English class so long ago. It's an excellent tie to education of the past. She's shared some stories of how it used to be studied, and what people used to think of the book. I can compare that to how it's studied now, and the contrast is interesting. It helps us better understand education in the past, which I think is important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I agree that English novels can help us bond with family. Family always help a lot when they can. Also we can share our views with family. We can argue and discuss. Novels are usually things that could or happened in our daily lives so that we can learn about ourselves and find out are we the same as the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your point about how it is unthinkable that you kids would not be reading fiction novels in class. Kids would grow up without any creativity and be forced to learn and learn from text books and informational books. Novels will help them later in life because it teaches them about morals and history. Very good points

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your point of learning from the books you don't like, like Shakespeare. I can never believe that the school is going to take more information texts into class. In my opinion, information texts are quite boring, which cannot attract the students' attention, which also means they cannot help the students learn as much reading skills as the school expected. We love fictions and literature in English class and they can help us more than information texts do.

    ReplyDelete