Wednesday 10 April 2013

Thank You Harper Lee


Dear
Harper Lee,

            When I met you I was going through a tough time I had just left my home in Manitoba. I left all my friends, all my family, to go to school in Ontario. Your book “to Kill a Mockingbird” was the book chosen to be read in my grade nine English class and that is why this makes it hard for me to say goodbye. Your book was what got me through that tough time being 14 having no friends in a strange place, but because of your book I connected with people that I had never met before just talking about and discussing your book trying to understand. A couple of the connections I made are going to last a lifetime like the connection I made with one of my closet friends Sidney Hutton. It has been four years since I first read your book I have read probably twenty other books since then but your book is the only book that means more to me than just words on a paper, I still have the same novel I annotated and read in grade nine sitting on my nightstand beside my bed and still from time to time read parts that are special, parts where adversity is overcome because that is what I overcame in grade nine. For example when Atticus decides and tells everybody that he is going to represent Tom Robinson. If I could choose you and your book would be apart of my life forever but its not, my connection to you makes this difficult but this is that last time you are able to be apart of my life so I just wanted to say goodbye, you got me through a time I didn’t think I would get through.
Sincerely,
 B. Mezz

5 comments:

  1. It's really interesting how something written so long ago can be so relatable even now. Clearly Harper Lee has had a great effect on you, it's really fascinating to hear how a book can mean one thing one thing to one person and another for another person. Thank you for sharing what you've overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool that you can relate you ended up making friendships over talking about a book. If you could have done that, maybe other people could do it too, and now they don't have the chance because the book is no longer in classes. That is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im happy that such a great book could help you make friends. Im sure moving from Manitoba Must have been hard especially in your grade 9 year. Think about all of the other kids in situations like you. Imagine you never had read this book, and made these relationships. You life could be very different.
    I also like how you changed the font to make it more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people can relate to what you wrote in this post. Making friends can be really difficult in a new place. It makes it very personal that you added that into the letter. The only thing I could say is make the font a bit bigger. Its a little difficult to read. But very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what it feels to move somewhere new. And, in that "stage" were you have to adapt, you hold on to songs, movies or books. I also have my own things that remind me of when I first moved to Canada, or my first days in Ridley.

    ReplyDelete